Sunday, August 25, 2013

Before the Blog

              I already said that I've been cleaning up files on my computer.  This is one I think I'll post here.  I have often kept a journal over the years, but for only a few days or a few weeks at a time.  I like writing in longhand, but don't take the time to do it very often, except for correspondence.  

            I looked through some journals last year and tore out pages of writing and poems I wanted to keep, re-wrote them in a notebook, and also typed these entries into the computer.  Why these three, I don't know.  Here they are.  



Evening              27 January 2009

My house smells so good right now.  I made two loaves of bread this morning and realized that I had really missed that wonderful died-and-gone-to-heaven smell.
          I was tired, mostly from decision making - rather than my “hard labor” - and took a long, smelly, soaking, bath, then put on my gown and housedress and purple shawl and stretched out in the recliner.  A two-hour nap and now I guess I’ll be up pretty late.
          The geese are flying right over my head and pretty low.  I saw the strangest thing yesterday afternoon, while it was snowing.
          I had stepped out to get the mail and heard all this squeaking, like a room full of mice.  Looking up I saw two flocks of geese, one very large - about 60 or 70 birds - and a smaller one of about 15 birds.  They were all squawking - not honking - and going round in a circle.
          I had the impression that they were calling to the smaller group to join them as they circled and waited, intending to fly together for protection against the storm.
          The pond at the college has been frozen over since the weekend and with the sleet and snow, I guess they were having a tough time finding shelter.
          I stood outside abut 15 minutes watching them and was nearly frozen, myself, by the time I came in, but it was worth it to watch.
          Last night when I went to bed it was so bright out that it was as though the sun couldn’t quite set.  It was a new moon so all the lights were man-made - reflecting off of clouds and snow.  I could have walked anywhere outdoors and felt safe.  I pulled open the curtains and laid down.

Saturday, the 14th of February, 2009  Valentine’s Day

          It’s been a long and strange and lonesome day.  Steve and I always exchanged Valentines and he usually brought me flowers or sometimes candy, or both.
          It’s also the second anniversary of the day he went into Presbyterian Hospital to get ready for the transplant.
          -Break here to dry the tears.-

          I guess I think of this as the beginning of the end.  What we hoped would be a successful procedure turned out to be what led to his death.
          I’ve puttered a bit - flower seeds needed sorting.  Most of them say 2005 on them.  What a long time ago that was!
          I made cinnamon apple pancakes for supper and cleaned out the freezer.  I sure have a lot of soup bones to use up.
          Matthew is on his first Boy Scout Campout this weekend.  The makes me cry, too.  It guess it’s a weepy weekend.
          Uncle John Fields died in January.  The same day as Jim Barton - both on Thursday.  Their funerals were the same day, too, on Sunday, February 1st.  Barry took me to both.
          We had a tornado Tuesday afternoon, from Yukon to Edmond to Guthrie.  What a way to start Spring - a month early.

Friday, September 24, 2009
          At least I think that’s the date - it is Friday. 
          Monday we all went to the Fair to see if the kids won ribbons on their entries.  Matthew had the only first place ribbon this time - on Welshcakes of all things!
          The day after my birthday was the day two years ago that Steve went into the hospital for the last three weeks of his life.    I’m still at the point of re-living - rather than just remembering - those weeks and want to do it by myself.
One of the things I’ve thought through and come to a decision about is what to do with Steve’s ashes.  While working on the family history, I’ve thought that his family was very important to Steve.  I’m going to scatter a bit of ash at cemeteries: Alta and James Berry’s graves, Auntie and Uncle Lafe’s graves, Margie’s grave, Clint’s grave, Jim and Lora Chandler’s graves.  Doing that will free my mind a bit.
          I’m driving to Ada this morning.  I was surprised - actually astonished - to learn a few years ago that Steve didn’t remember much about our 3 and a half years living there.  We had gone down to look the town over and see how much it had changed.  Steve couldn’t even remember how to get to the two houses we lived in.  He had spent so much time each day on the jobs that he was hardly ever at home.
          What an eye-opener that was!