Friday, July 9, 2010

Journal of trip to Missouri, day 1

I’m a little nervous about this trip.  It will be the longest yet - on my own.  The sky is overcast, which is fine with me.  I’d rather drive in cloudy weather than bright sunshine.  There’s not much traffic on the turnpike as I head northeast.  And, of course, nearly everyone is passing me by.

The countryside is as green as it can get in Oklahoma and the wooded, rolling hills make for a peaceful drive.  There’s a relatively new bridge at mile marker 155 and it’s really nice.  It looks like stone work and has the shield from the state flag on the center pillar.   I had a hard time finding a photo of it but finally turned up this one taken by Gary McKinney and posted on Flikr.  I can only link to it, so click here to see it. 

$4.00 for the Turnpike fee!  Yikes!  A reminder to myself : get off at Bristow and Drumright on the way back; I haven’t been to those towns in a few years.

Wow!  I saw a cow!  I stopped for lunch at the Chick-Fil-A in Regal Plaza, south side of Tulsa.  I didn’t realize it was National Cow Appreciation Day so I was thoroughly amazed to see so many cows wandering around the restaurant, both sides of the counter.  Here’s what I saw.

It was great fun at one of my favorite places to eat and the service was extraordinary, even for Chick-Fil-A.  I wasn’t dressed as a cow, but was appropriately in black and white.

Next stop was at Gardner’s Used Books on Mingo Road in Tulsa.  It’s a big store and I found four books that I didn’t think I could live without.  Headed east again and finally stopped for the day at Joplin.  Tomorrow: Licking, Texas Co, Missouri and my first genealogy stop.