Friday, November 1, 2013

All Saints' Day

I didn't finish yesterday with my recounting of cemetery trips.  I'll pick up where I left off.

April 2003 - Indiana
I had corresponded for some time with historical society researchers in Logansport and was anxious to be there in person.

We arrived and found a place to stay, then headed directly for the cemetery. It was late afternoon and a cool day.  The cemetery was huge!  Without knowing where exactly to look we walked a while, looking for the older plots.  We walked for an hour or so, just enjoying the beauty of the evening and the grounds.  The sun began to leave the sky and it was getting difficult to read markers from a distance.  We returned to the car and thought we'd just make a loop down some of the roads and look from the car window.  We were on our way out, near the eastern gate, when I looked down to see Stocks on a marker.  Hooray!  We had found family.  

The next day we went to the the cemetery office.   Lo, and behold, they had computerized all the entries and I was able to get printouts of more plots.

These are the photos from that evening.



The second day, when we went to the cemetery office, this information turned up and we looked for the marker for the child.  Here's his marker - nearer to the main gate in the above photo.



This is the information I have in my WorldConnect file:

Interment record of Section 12, Lot 439, Graves 1-6, Mt Hope Cemetery, Logansport, Cass Co, Indiana, owner of plots Julius Bleick; first two graves hold unnamed persons; no markers are to be found in cemetery for Nora, Julius, or his second wife Sadie/Julia.  There is a marker for an infant son of JH and Elnora Bleick; an infant who died in 1899.  I took photographs of the marker in April 2003, LC.





We spent time at the historical society and they were wonderfully helpful.  They had recorded so much information for Cass County that we spent hours looking through it.  Another Stocks family member was just north in Zion Methodist Cemetery at Lucerne, still in Cass county.  We travelled there the day we left and found this marker which includes my great-great uncle, John Thomas Stocks, the grandfather of the infant Bleick in Logansport.



From Lucerne, we headed west to White County, Indiana.  My direct line Stocks and Davis families were there for a while and I wanted to see that part of the state, too.  This is what we saw as we drove into Wolcott.



I was surprised to see such large homes out in the "middle of nowhere" and never have figured out the cause of such prosperity.  I guess I ought to do a little more studying?! Found this, which helps a little - - Wolcott.

We were running out of time.  The cemeteries in White county didn't get a glance from us.  We thought that we'd be back soon and take another look when we did.  Never happened.  Sigh . . . 


Jump now to March 2006, another anniversary trip, to McPherson, Kansas, where we found this marker:

These photos were taken some time between 1988 and 2006, but I failed to date them and since I've been to Douglass Cemetery a dozen times, I don't remember which trip this was.

Well, that's it for a trip down Memory Lane.  
May all your departed souls Rest in Peace.